Definition of Afrikaner
1. Noun. A white native of Cape Province who is a descendant of Dutch settlers and who speaks Afrikaans.
2. Adjective. Belonging or relating to white people of South Africa whose ancestors were Dutch or to their language. "Afrikaner support"
Definition of Afrikaner
1. Noun. A member of an ethnic group of northwestern European ancestry and associated with southern Africa and the Afrikaans language. ¹
2. Noun. A breed of cattle, aka Afrikander. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Afrikaner Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Afrikaner
Literary usage of Afrikaner
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Narrative of a Visit to the Mauritius and South Africa by James Backhouse (1844)
"Reci Meeting of Jan Ortman and Titus Afrikaner.—History of the Afrik mil}. ... Comm with the Wesleyan Missionaries.—Conversion of D. Afrikaner. ..."
2. Public Attitudes in Contemporary South Africa: Insights from an Hsrc Survey by Human Sciences Research Council (2002)
"All in all, the mobilisation of Afrikaner identity culminated in the consolidation of Afrikaner power in 1948 and the elimination of the imperial factor ..."
3. History of South Africa 1691-1795 by George McCall Theal (1888)
"... places—Exploration of the country east of Walfish Bay—Continuation of the war with the Bushmen—Conduct of the Namaqua captain Afrikaner—Dismissal of the ..."
4. Notes of Travel in South-western Africa by Charles John Andersson (1882)
"Jonker Afrikaner—Visit to David Christian—Arrogant conduct of a ... Jonker Afrikaner had now been dead some time, and it was impossible to deny that his ..."
5. The Moffats by Ethel Daniels Hubbard (1917)
"CHAPTER IV THE KRAAL OF Afrikaner THE OUTLAW The tumult and the shouting dies; The captains and the kings depart; Still stands thine ancient sacrifice, ..."
6. Democracy and Governance Review: Mandela's Legacy 1994-1999 by Bernard M. Magubane, Yvonne G. Muthien, Meshack M. Khosa (2001)
"Afrikaner nationalism went beyond culture to include a close emotional attachment with ... Indeed, because Afrikaner leaders used their political power to ..."
7. Lake Ngami: Or, Explorations and Discoveries During Four Years' Wanderings by Charles John Andersson (1857)
"... of Jonker Afrikaner; where my friend, before finally leaving the country, was anxious to settle certain disputes between the native tribes. ..."