Definition of Alleghenies
1. Noun. The western part of the Appalachian Mountains; extending from northern Pennsylvania to southwestern Virginia.
Group relationships: Keystone State, Pa, Pennsylvania, Old Dominion, Old Dominion State, Va, Virginia, Mountain State, West Virginia, Wv, Appalachian Mountains, Appalachians
Generic synonyms: Chain, Chain Of Mountains, Mountain Chain, Mountain Range, Range, Range Of Mountains
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Alleghenies Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Alleghenies
Literary usage of Alleghenies
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. On the Trail of the Pioneers: Romance, Tragedy and Triumph of the Path of Empire by John Thomson Faris (1920)
"STRUGGLES WITH THE Alleghenies Morn on the Alleghenies! on their side, Crossing a rocky ... Alleghenies."
2. History of the Battle of Point Pleasant Fought Between White Men and Indians by Virgil Anson Lewis (1909)
"... but that Virginia had established civil government therein. So the Mississippi river, and not the Alleghenies, became the western boundary of ..."
3. Native Cemeteries and Forms of Burial East of the Mississippi by David Ives Bushnell (1920)
"WEST OF THE Alleghenies The burial customs of some western Algonquian tribes were, in many respects, quite similar to those of the New England Indians. ..."
4. The Pioneer Mothers of America: A Record of the More Notable Women of the by Harry Clinton Green, Mary Wolcott Green (1912)
"... the "first white bride west of the Alleghenies"; carried away by the Indians, she escaped, and travelled seven hundred miles through the wilderness to ..."
5. History of the Pilgrims and Puritans: Their Ancestry and Descendants; Basis by Joseph Dillaway Sawyer (1922)
"... Daniel Webster, New Hampshire's mighty son, a man who allowed "no Alleghenies in his politics" and whose death October 24, 1852, convulsed a nation. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Alleghenies