Definition of American Revolution
1. Noun. The revolution of the American Colonies against Great Britain; 1775-1783.
Generic synonyms: Revolution
Terms within: Battle Of Bunker Hill, Bunker Hill, Battle Of Cowpens, Cowpens, Fort Ticonderoga, Ticonderoga, Concord, Lexington, Lexington And Concord, Battle Of Monmouth, Battle Of Monmouth Court House, Monmouth Court House, Battle Of Saratoga, Saratoga, Siege Of Yorktown, Yorktown
American Revolution Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: American Revolution Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of American Revolution
Literary usage of American Revolution
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Book Prices Current (1921)
"History of the American Revolution. Phila., 1789. 2 vols. Orig. bds, unc., B., Sept. 5, '19. (168) $12.00. History of the American Revolution. Loud., 1793. ..."
2. The American Historical Review by American Historical Association (1905)
"... career: his part in the American Revolution, and his attitude toward the French Revolution. In reviewing Lafayette's part in the American Revolution, ..."
3. The American Conflict: A History of the Great Rebellion in the United States by Horace Greeley (1866)
"THE American Revolution was no sudden outbreak. It was preceded by eleven years of peaceful remonstrance and animated discussion. ..."
4. Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society Held at Philadelphia for by American Philosophical Society (1912)
"Having taken the trouble some years ago to examine the great mass of original evidence relating to the American Revolution, the contemporary documents, ..."
5. New Viewpoints in American History by Arthur Meier Schlesinger (1922)
"CHAPTER VII THE American Revolution When the representatives of George V rendered homage a few years ago at the tomb of the great ..."
6. American Poetry by Percy Holmes Boynton, Frank Martindale Webster, George Wiley Sherburn, Howard M. Jones (1918)
"RW Griswold; Songs and Ballads of the American Revolution, ed. ... The Spirit of the American Revolution as Revealed in the Poetry of the Period, ..."
7. Beginnings of the American People by Carl Lotus Becker (1915)
"For bibliography and summary of contemporary literature, Tyler's Literary History of the American Revolution. Selections from newspapers and contemporary ..."
8. The Part Taken by Women in American History by John A. Logan, Mary Simmerson Cunningham Logan (1912)
"Miss Boswell comes of Revolutionary ancestors, is prominent in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and is well known in the social and official life ..."
Other Resources Relating to: American Revolution