Definition of Arthur Ashe
1. Noun. United States tennis player who was the first Black to win United States and English singles championships (1943-1993).
Arthur Ashe Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Arthur Ashe Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Arthur Ashe
Literary usage of Arthur Ashe
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Overview of Affirmative Action: Hearing Before the Committee on the edited by Hank Brown (1998)
"I join with Arthur Ashe, the late Arthur Ashe, against all of the other coaches in saying that our young people studying and performing academically should ..."
2. What Happened Today? by Jill Norris, Sharon Rosenberger (2001)
"Choose one and explain its meaning. on pins and needles like trying to find a needle in a haystack a stitch in time saves nine Happy Birthday, Arthur Ashe! ..."
3. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage by Inc. Merriam-Webster (1994)
"It can't help you win, but it might prevent you from losing —Arthur Ashe, quoted in Playboy, May 1980 - . - to prevent the President from establishing a ..."
4. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1875)
"... amendment of the gentleman from Iowa '' (Mr. Kasson). The question was taken as follows : YEAS—Messrs. Albright, Archer, Arthur, Ashe, Atkins, Banning, ..."
5. The Virginia Handbook by Blair Howard (2005)
"... "one of the most beautiful streets in America" is a grand boulevard featuring impressive statues honoring tennis star Arthur Ashe and Civil War heroes. ..."