Definition of Cakile maritima
1. Noun. Salt-tolerant seashore annual grown for its fragrant rose or violet flowers and fleshy grey-green foliage.
Group relationships: Cakile, Genus Cakile
Generic synonyms: Herb, Herbaceous Plant
Cakile Maritima Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cakile Maritima Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cakile Maritima
Literary usage of Cakile maritima
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Observations of a Naturalist in the Pacific Between 1896 and 1899 by Henry Brougham Guppy (1906)
"... Cakile maritima, Convolvulus soldanella and others failed to do so-»(see Note 19). It will also be noticed with respect to this group of littoral plants ..."
2. The Origin of Plant Structures by Self-adaptation to the Environment by George Henslow (1895)
"3-4 : I 8:3 Silene maritima . . . 4-5 : I 4:1 Aster Tripolium . . . 1-5:1 3:1 In Silene maritima and Cakile maritima, there was an increase in ..."
3. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1915)
"... and besides these Cakile maritima and Convolvulus soldanella. The sand, that is blown landward is completely captured by the plantation of Ammophila on ..."
4. Publication by Field Museum of Natural History (1902)
"ARGEMONE MEXICANA OCHROLEUCA Lindl. Bot. Reg., t. 1343. Suburbs of Merida, Jan. 27, 1865 (Schott, f?8). CRUCIFER^E. Cakile maritima Scop. Fl. Cam., ed. ..."
5. Fennia by Suomen maantieteellinen seura (1900)
"... herbacea A triplex hastata A. litoralis Ranunculus marinus Cochlearia arctica C. anglica C. danica Isatis tinctoria Crambe maritima Cakile maritima ..."