Definition of Dacca
1. Noun. The capital and largest city of Bangladesh.
Generic synonyms: National Capital
Group relationships: Bangla Desh, Bangladesh, East Pakistan, People's Republic Of Bangladesh
Definition of Dacca
1. Proper noun. Former spelling of Dhaka, capital of Bangladesh. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dacca Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dacca
Literary usage of Dacca
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Early Records of British India: A History of the English Settlements in by James Talboys Wheeler (1878)
"I came to Dacca. It is a great town, that extends itself only in length, ... And indeed from the last brick bridge to Dacca, there is but one continued row ..."
2. Narrative of a Journey Through the Upper Provinces of India, from Calcutta by Reginald Heber, Amelia Heber (1873)
"Being anxious to prevent Miss Stowe, who I feared had, on hearing of her poor brother's illness, set out from Calcutta to join him, from coming to Dacca, ..."
3. The History of Silk, Cotton, Linen, Wool, and Other Fibrous Substances by Clinton G. Gilroy (1845)
"Indian fabrics prohibited in England, and most other countries of Europe—Petition from Calcutta merchants—Present condition of the City of Dacca—Mode of ..."
4. A Statistical Account of Bengal by William Wilson Hunter, Herbert Hope Risley, Hermann Michael Kisch (1875)
"The town is also the Head Quarters of the Com- 1 The District Statistical Account of Dacca has been chiefly compiled from the following sources:—(i) Five ..."
5. The New American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1859)
"In the N. part of Dacca are 2 distinct tribes, the K mich and Raj bans!, more vigorous and daring than the rest of the population, which is about equally ..."