Definition of Desmidium
1. Noun. A genus of protoctist.
Generic synonyms: Protoctist Genus
Group relationships: Desmidiaceae, Family Desmidiaceae
Member holonyms: Desmid
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Desmidium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Desmidium
Literary usage of Desmidium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Microscopy for Beginners: Or, Common Objects from the Ponds and Ditches by Alfred Cheatham Stokes (1887)
"Desmidium. The twisted appearance of the band is due to the fact that each cell ... When the side of the band is looked at, it is these Fig. 2i.-Desmidium ..."
2. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1845)
"I then considered it an undescribed species of Desmidium. I have since been favoured by Mr. Berkeley with the following extract from ..."
3. Scottish Cryptogamic Flora, Or, Coloured Figures and Descriptions of by Robert Kaye Greville (1827)
"Both AGARDH and LYNGBYE describe the] filaments as plane; and indeed, till the genus Desmidium was established by the former, the plant was referred to ..."
4. Reports of the First, Second, and Third Meetings of the Association of (1843)
"Desmidium. Free, carapace simple, urceolate, trilateral, often catenate. ... I believe Desmidium cylindricum of Greville to be merely a state of this ..."
5. Rhodora by New England Botanical Club (1903)
"Desmidium Baileyi Ralfs. Diam. 27 ft, length 22 ft, av. diam. of excavation 9 /t, ... Desmidium cylindricum Grev. Diam. 36-46 ft, sheath 63 ft. Common. ..."