Definition of Epinephelus
1. Noun. Genus of groupers or sea bass.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Serranidae, Serranidae
Member holonyms: Coney, Epinephelus Fulvus, Hind, Epinephelus Adscensionis, Rock Hind
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Epinephelus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Epinephelus
Literary usage of Epinephelus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bass, Pike, Perch and Others by James Alexander Henshall (1903)
"It grows to three feet in length, and frequents rocky situations. THE ROCK HIND (Epinephelus adscensionis) This grouper is one of the most bizarre and gayly ..."
2. The Genera of Fishes ...: A Contribution to the Stability of Scientific by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1917)
"Justice and convenience are best served by retaining the name Epinephelus for its chief components, as understood by nearly all authors. ..."
3. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1908)
"Peters long ago examined Bloch's type of Epinephelus afer and found it identical with ... 11 (type Epinephelus afer Bloch first species) has priority over ..."
4. American Food and Game Fishes: A Popular Account of All the Species Found in by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1902)
"... (Epinephelus striatus) 384 Red Grouper (Epinephelus morio) 386 Red Hind (Epinephelus guttatus) . . . • . . . 386 Nassau Grouper or Cherna (Epinephelus ..."