Definition of Hausa
1. Noun. A member of a Negroid people living chiefly in northern Nigeria.
2. Noun. The chief member of the Chadic family of Afroasiatic languages; widely used as a trading language.
Definition of Hausa
1. Noun. A Moslem people living in Nigeria and part of Niger. ¹
2. Noun. The Chadic language spoken by these people. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hausa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hausa
Literary usage of Hausa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York Public Library (1909)
"Hausa. Baikie (William Balfour). Observations on the Hau sa and ... Über Sitten und Gebräuche in Hausa. [Seminar für orientalische Sprachen zu Berlin. ..."
2. Travels and Discoveries in North and Central Africa: Being a Journal of an by Heinrich Barth (1896)
"But we have no right to conclude from this circumstance that the practice of giving the name Hausa, not only to the widely diffused language, ..."
3. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1896)
"To the Hausa States, which occupy about the middle of this immense area, may be most correctly referred the title Central Sudan. The Hausa States extend, ..."
4. The White Man in Nigeria by George Douglas Hazzledine (1904)
"CHAPTER III THE FULANI The Hausa and the Fulani—An ancient civilization—How the Fulani ... IN the Hausa States, up the Niger River, there are two peoples. ..."
5. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"Ever since then the ruler of Sokoto has been acknowledged as the religious head of the whole country, and tribute has been paid to him as such. The Hausa ..."
6. Report of the Annual Meeting (1894)
"His intercourse with Hausa-speaking natives in North Africa served to reveal I ... He read an account given by a Hausa pilgrim of the capture of Khartum and ..."
7. The Journal of the Manchester Geographical Society by Manchester Geographical Society (1896)
"W. ROBINSON, The Hausa Student. [Read to the Members, in the Library, Monday, October 12th, 1896.] THREE years ago I had the privilege of reading a paper at ..."