Definition of Hordeum murinum
1. Noun. European annual grass often found as a weed in waste ground especially along roadsides and hedgerows.
Hordeum Murinum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hordeum Murinum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hordeum Murinum
Literary usage of Hordeum murinum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1793)
"HORDEUM murinum. Wall, or Mouse Barley. ... Hordeum murinum. Linn. fy. Pi. 126. Sm. Fl. GEN. CHAR. Calyx lateral, of 2 valves, containing a Brit. 155. Huds. ..."
2. Publications by English Dialect Society (1886)
"(1) Hordeum murinum, L.—Turn. Herb.; from its growth near walls. i (2) Lolium ... Hordeum murinum, L.—Ger. Emac.; from its frequency by the roadside. ..."
3. The Names of Herbes by William Turner, James Britten (1881)
"It maye be called in englishe wheate Barley because it hath no mo Huskes on it the wheat hath. It groweth in Italy. Hordeum murinum. Hordeum murinum, whiche ..."
4. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1913)
"Hordeum murinum L. Sp. PI. 85. 1753. Culms 6'-2° tall, erect, or decumbent at the base, smooth and glabrous. Sheaths loose, shorter than the internodes on ..."
5. A Dictionary of English Plant-names by James Britten, Robert Holland (1886)
"(1) Hordeum murinum, L.—Turn. Herb.; from its growth near walls. ... Hordeum murinum, L.—E. Bard.: Bot. E. Bord. A general name for this plant. Barley-big. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Hordeum murinum