Definition of Hypentelium
1. Noun. A genus of fish in the family Catostomidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Catostomidae, Family Catostomidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Hypentelium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Hypentelium
Literary usage of Hypentelium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington by Biological Society of Washington (1915)
"The cranium of Hypentelium is much shorter and broader than in any species ... Hypentelium is developed as a bottom fish and seems to us to be much farther ..."
2. Ichthyologia Ohiensis, Or, Natural History of the Fishes Inhabiting the by Constantine Samuel Rafinesque, Richard Ellsworth Call (1899)
"All the fins fleshy and fat. Head flat above, barbs unequal. Belly convex. Hind part of the body compressed. XXV Genus. TOTER. Hypentelium. ..."
3. Classification of the Collection to Illustrate the Animal Resources of the by George Brown Goode (1876)
"If Catostomus nigricans be considered generi- distinct from C. hudsonius, we have no alternative but to substi- Hypentelium for ..."
4. Manual of the Vertebrates of the Northern United States: Including the by David Starr Jordan (1878)
"1. 40. New England, S. and W., abundant. \E. oblongus, (Mit.) Jor.] 6. Hypentelium, Rafinesque. CRAWL - A - BOTTOMS. ..."