Definition of Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz
1. Noun. United States naturalist (born in Switzerland) who studied fossil fish; recognized geological evidence that ice ages had occurred in North America (1807-1873).
Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz
Literary usage of Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern by Edward Cornelius Towne (1896)
"Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz (1807-1873) FIRST, when a mere boy, twelve years of age," writes the great Swiss naturalist, " I did what most beginners do. ..."
2. Pioneers of Science in America: Sketches of Their Lives and Scientific Work by William Jay Youmans (1896)
"JEAN Louis RODOLPHE AGASSIZ was born in the Swiss village of Motier, on the shore of Lake Morat, May 28, 1807. His father, Louis Rodolphe Agassiz, ..."
3. The Golden Key Book: A School Reader by Elias Hershey Sneath, George Hodges, Edward Lawrence Stevens (1913)
"Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz His characteristic modesty needs additional mention. He seemed not to realize his greatness. Tributes to his attainments ..."
4. Heroes of Progress: Stories of Sucessful Americans by Eva March Tappan (1921)
"... Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz BELOVED TEACHER OF SCIENCE 1807-1873 1860, Agassiz Museum at Harvard dedicated THE King of Bavaria once sent some scientists ..."
5. International Library of Masterpieces, Literature, Art and Rare Manuscripts by Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Richard Stockton (1901)
"Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz. AGASSIZ, JEAN Louis RODOLPHE, a celebrated Swiss-American naturalist and author, born at Motier, Switzerland, May 28, 1807; ..."
6. Life, Letters, and Works of Louis Agassiz by Jules Marcou (1895)
"6, 1837. His mother, Rose Mayor, was born July n, 1783, and died Nov. n, 1867. Jean Louis Rodolphe Agassiz was born May 28, 1807, at the parsonage of ..."