Definition of Johnston
1. Noun. Confederate general in the American Civil War; led the Confederate troops in the West (1807-1891).
Definition of Johnston
1. Proper noun. A Scottish habitational surname from a place in Dumfriesshire, meaning "John's town". ¹
2. Proper noun. An English surname, variant of Johnson. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Johnston Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Johnston
Literary usage of Johnston
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature by H.W. Wilson Company (1915)
"Nation 101:404-5 S 30 '15 Johnston, Martina How Christmas came to Roger Byrne. ... Country Life 29:96 D '15 Johnston, Bertha School-boy's exercise of 1700 ..."
2. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1885)
"There is an allegation that Shanks, while acting as executor of the will of Johnston, about the time the deed of trust was made by Brown to Klein, ..."
3. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1910)
"Civil action to recover on a judgment rendered In plaintiff's favor, at October term, 1906, against W. Л. Johnston, administrator of WN Peden, tried before ..."
4. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the High Court of Chancery: During by Edward Burtenshaw Sugden, Ireland High Court of Chancery, William B. Drury, Robert R. Warren (1844)
"Johnston. 1842. Nov. 29. ANNE Johnston, the testatrix in this case, being A testatrix by 0 her will, de- SCi'sed of a house in Eccles-street, Dublin, ..."
5. The Odyssey of Homer by Homer, Philip Stanhope Worsley (1861)
"By AK Johnston, FRSE, &c.; and Professor HD ROGERS. Price 7s. 6d. 10. ... By AK Johnston, FR SE, &c. Price 7s. 6d. 17.—THE RIVER SYSTEMS OF NORTH AND SOUTH ..."
6. Catalogue by Union League Club (New York, N.Y.) (1886)
"Alcove A. Johnston, JE—Narrative of military operations directed during the late ... Alcove J. Johnston, JFW—Elements of agricultural chemistry and geology. ..."
7. A Supplement to Allibone's Critical Dictionary of English Literature and by John Foster Kirk, Kirk, John Foster, 1824-1904, Samuel Austin Allibone (1891)
"Johnston, James I>. China and Japan : Cruise of the US Steam Frigate " Powhatan ... Johnston, John Wilson. A Contribution to the Dynamics of Racial Diet in ..."