Definition of Leonurus cardiaca
1. Noun. Bitter Old World herb of hedgerows and woodland margins having toothed leaves and white or pale pink flowers.
Generic synonyms: Herb, Herbaceous Plant
Group relationships: Genus Leonurus, Leonurus
Leonurus Cardiaca Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Leonurus Cardiaca Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Leonurus Cardiaca
Literary usage of Leonurus cardiaca
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1799)
"Upper Up of the corolla shaggy, concave. SPEC. CHAR. Stem-leaves lanceolate, 3-lobed. SYN. Leonurus cardiaca. Linn. Sp. PI. 817. Huds. Fl. An. 261. With. ..."
2. Medical Lexicon: A Dictionary of Medical Science : Containing a Concise by Robley Dunglison (1868)
"Trilobata, Leonurus cardiaca—c. ... Leonurus cardiaca. CARDI'ACI (M:,r'b¡.\ in the classification of Dr. Win. Karr, means heart diseases. ..."
3. New Manual of Botany of the Central Rocky Mountains (vascular Plants) by John Merle Coulter (1909)
"Leonurus cardiaca L. Sp. PI. 584. 1753. A puberulent perennial 5-10 dm. high: leaves long-petioled; the lower suborbicular, dentate, 5-10 cm. broad; ..."
4. King's American Dispensatory by John King, Harvey Wickes Felter, John Uri Lloyd (1900)
"In some sections of continental Europe, and particulary in Russia Leonurus cardiaca has been highly endorsed as a remedy for hydrophobia. ..."
5. A Textbook of Botany for Colleges and Universities by John Merle Coulter, Charles Reid Barnes, Henry Chandler Cowles (1911)
"In Leonurus cardiaca the intermediate stem leaves are more divided than are those below or ... Leaf variation in the motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca); 889, ..."