Definition of Loiseleuria
1. Noun. One species: alpine azalea.
Generic synonyms: Dilleniid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Ericaceae, Family Ericaceae, Heath Family
Member holonyms: Alpine Azalea, Loiseleuria Procumbens, Mountain Azalea
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Loiseleuria Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Loiseleuria
Literary usage of Loiseleuria
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Appalachia by Appalachian Mountain Club (1879)
"The alpine azalea (Loiseleuria procumbens), the most beautiful and brilliant of all our alpine plants, though above 1582 metres, extends over large areas, ..."
2. Trees: A Handbook of Forest-botany for the Woodlands and the Laboratory by Harry Marshall Ward, Percy Groom (1905)
"In the following the ovary is composed of five carpels :— Lime Sumach Cydonia Arbutus Andromeda Azalea Ailanthus Pyrus Ivy Bearberry Loiseleuria ..."
3. Lake Superior: Its Physical Character, Vegetation, and Animals, Compared by Louis Agassiz, James Elliot Cabot (1850)
"La Tourne, higher Jura, and lower Alps. Loiseleuria procumbens Des. Pastures of the Alps. Andromeda polifolia L. Peat bogs of the higher Jura. ..."
4. The Natural History of Plants: Their Forms, Growth, Reproduction, and by Anton Kerner von Marilaun (1902)
"... have zygomorphic flowers; the rest of the Ericales have actinomorphic flowers. In Loiseleuria, and in the ..."
5. Botanical Abstracts by Board of Control of Botanical Abstracts (1921)
"Azalea or Loiseleuria. Jour. Arnold Arboretum 2: 156-159. 1921.—The different conceptions of the genus Azalea are discussed and the conclusion reached that ..."
6. The English Rock-garden by Reginald John Farrer (1919)
"Loiseleuria PROCUMBENS. countless fine naked stems of 3 inches or less, ... Loiseleuria procumbens is a little alpine Azalea, trailing tiny flat masses, ..."