Definition of Malayan
1. Noun. A member of a people inhabiting the northern Malay Peninsula and Malaysia and parts of the western Malay Archipelago.
Group relationships: East India, East Indies, Malay Archipelago, Malaya, Malaysia, Malay Peninsula
Generic synonyms: Asian, Asiatic
Derivative terms: Malay
2. Adjective. Of or relating to or characteristic of Malaysia. "Malayan crocodiles"
Partainyms: Malaya, Malaysia
Derivative terms: Malaysia, Malaysia, Malaysian
3. Adjective. Of or relating to or characteristic of the people or language of Malaysia and the northern Malay Peninsula and parts of the western Malay Archipelago. "Malayan syllable structure"
Definition of Malayan
1. Noun. a person from Malaysia or the former Malaya; a Malay ¹
2. Adjective. of, or relating to Malaysia or the former Malaya; Malay ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Malayan
Of or pertaining to the Malays or their country.
The Malay language.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Malayan Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Malayan
Literary usage of Malayan
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report of the Annual Meeting (1908)
"The following Papers were read :— I. Morgan's Malayan System of Relationship.1 By WHR RIVERS, M.Dt It is unlikely that people so advanced in culture as the ..."
2. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General by Thomas Spencer Baynes (1888)
"... by Sykes many years ago,' which only contains about 150 species of Land-birds, of which about 105 belong to genera common to the Himalayan and Malayan ..."
3. A Descriptive Dictionary of the Indian Islands & Adjacent Countries by John Crawfurd (1856)
"The first class are supposed to belong to the Malayan race of man, ... from those of the Malayan nations, but als-i differing among themselves. ..."
4. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1882)
"Surveys and Explorations in the Native States of the Malayan Peninsula, ... THE Native States may be described as provinces in tbe Malayan Peninsula tbat ..."
5. Standard Alphabet for Reducing Unwritten Languages and Foreign Graphic by Richard Lepsius (1863)
"We write the merely Arabic sounds as we write them in Arabic. We have followed principally the exposition of the Malayan grammar by ..."
6. Australasia by Alfred Russel Wallace, Augustus Henry Keane (1883)
"as that of the Mahori, but the sounds of j, eh, th, etc., point at Malayan influences on their phonetic system, while the frequency of closed syllables and ..."