Definition of Melanerpes erythrocephalus
1. Noun. Black-and-white North American woodpecker having a red head and neck.
Generic synonyms: Pecker, Peckerwood, Woodpecker
Group relationships: Genus Melanerpes, Melanerpes
Melanerpes Erythrocephalus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Melanerpes Erythrocephalus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Melanerpes Erythrocephalus
Literary usage of Melanerpes erythrocephalus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1920)
"... a lapsus calami for Melanerpes erythrocephalus and there is no other evidence that the author intended to describe a new species or subspecies. ..."
2. Michigan Bird Life: A List of All the Bird Species Known to Occur in the by Walter Bradford Barrows (1912)
"Melanerpes erythrocephalus (Linn.). (406) Synonyms: Red-head, Tricolor. ... Melanerpes erythrocephalus, Swains., 1831, and authors generally. Figure 90. ..."
3. Bulletin by Bureau of Biological Survey, United States (1895)
"3), we reach the Redhead Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus, PL II, fig. ... The Red-headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus^ PI. I, fig. ..."
4. �Etudes m�edicales sur les serpents de la Vend�ee et de Loire-Inf�erieure by Ambroise Viaud-Grand-Marais, George Robert Gray (1868)
"SN ip 174. Picus obscurus, Gmel. SN ip 429. Melanerpes erythrocephalus, Sw. Classif. of B. ii. p. 310. ..."