Definition of Mombasa
1. Noun. A port city in southern Kenya on a coral island in a bay of the Indian Ocean.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mombasa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mombasa
Literary usage of Mombasa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The East Africa Protectorate by Charles Eliot (1905)
"To the south of this lies Mombasa, known to sailors by three hills, ... The northern harbour, or Mombasa proper, leads up to the old Arab town. ..."
2. Uganda's Katikiro in England: Being the Offical Account of His Visit to the by Ham Mukasa, Ernest Millar (1904)
"Our friend Mr. DJ Wilson, who had met us first at Mombasa Station on our arrival when we were going to England, came to take us off the ship, and brought us ..."
3. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1875)
"Mombasa, East Africa, Sept. 3, 1874. SOT my return to Eastern Africa I have accomplished a journey om the Ei ver Pangani through Usambara onwards, ..."
4. Proceedings by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain), Norton Shaw, Francis Galton, William Spottiswoode, Clements Robert Markham, Henry Walter Bates, John Scott Keltie (1884)
"A Journey from Mombasa to Mounts Ndara and ... Ox the 27th of May I left Mombasa, and sailed in my boat to the ..."
5. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne (1913)
"These religious settled at Pate and Mombasa, while the Dominicans settled at ... At Mombasa and its environs the Church Missionary Society has been well ..."
6. Zanzibar in Contemporary Times: A Short History of the Southern East in the by Robert Nunez Lyne (1905)
"SEYYID SAID—SUBJUGATION OF Mombasa. TWELVE years before Captain Hart's visit Captain ... Thus, on his arrival at Mombasa, Vidal was hailed as a deliverer, ..."
7. Eighteen Years in Uganda & East Africa by Alfred Robert Tucker (1908)
"The voyage from Aden to Mombasa has been so often described that I dare ... Only at Mombasa was the monotony of the voyage broken; and here most agreeably. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Mombasa