Definition of Moniliaceae
1. Noun. Family of imperfect fungi having white or brightly colored hyphae and spores that are produced directly on the mycelium and not aggregated in fruiting bodies.
Generic synonyms: Fungus Family
Group relationships: Moniliales, Order Moniliales
Member holonyms: Genus Trichophyton, Trichophyton, Genus Microsporum, Microsporum, Genus Monilia, Cercosporella, Genus Cercosporella, Genus Penicillium, Penicillium
Medical Definition of Moniliaceae
1. A family of Fungi Imperfecti (order Moniliales) which includes Sporothrix schenckii, the causative agent of sporotrichosis. (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Moniliaceae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Moniliaceae
Literary usage of Moniliaceae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Chemical Abstracts by American Chemical Society (1916)
"... according to inocu- * soils containing 155 mg. of N in dried blood and inoculated with Trichoderma lon- Fungi belonging to the Moniliaceae were the most ..."
2. Moulds, Mildews, and Mushrooms: A Guide to the Systematic Study of the Fungi by Lucien Marcus Underwood (1899)
"Moniliaceae. Fuscous or black, usually rather rigid. ... Among the many genera of the Moniliaceae,* Ramularia with ovate-cylindric conidia is probably the ..."
3. Manual of Microbiologic Monitoring of Laboratory Animals edited by Kim Waggie (1994)
"... Family: Moniliaceae; Genus: Aspergillus). Disease induced: Aspergillosis and aspergilloma. a. Morphology: b. Cultivation: c. Strains: d. Stability: e. ..."
4. IPM and Biological Control of Plant Pests: Field Crops: Bibliography January by DIANE Publishing Company (1995)
"... Moniliaceae): effects on soybean defoliators in coastal Ecuador. Stansly, PA.; Orellana M, GJ. Lanham, Md. : Entomological Society of America. ..."
5. Code of Federal Regulations: Parts 170 to 199 Revised as of April 1, 2005 by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Staff (2005)
"... family, Moniliaceae; genus, Aspergillus; species, niger. (b) The strain of Aspergillus niger is nonpathogenic and nontoxic in man or other animals. ..."