Definition of Nopalea
1. Noun. A genus of the cactus family with scarlet flowers.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Cactaceae, Cactus Family, Family Cactaceae
Member holonyms: Nopal
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nopalea Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nopalea
Literary usage of Nopalea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cactaceae: Descriptions and Illustrations of Plants of the Cactus Family by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Joseph Nelson Rose (1919)
"Nopalea Salm-Dyck, Cact. Hort. Dyck. 1849. 63. 1850. Much branched cacti with definite cylindric trunks; roots so far as known fibrous; branches or joints ..."
2. A Practical treatise on materia medica and therapeutics: With Special by John Vietch Shoemaker (1906)
"... fera and on other species of Nopalea." The pigment called Carmine is the coloring matter precipitated from the decoction by acids, and the salts of tin, ..."
3. Cactaceœ of Northeastern and Central Mexico Together with a Synopsis of the by William Edwin Safford (1909)
"Nopalea.—This genus is closely allied to Opuntia, but it may easily be ... Other species of the genus growing in Mexico are Nopalea dejecta (called nopal ..."
4. Henderson's Handbook of Plants and General Horticulture by Peter Henderson (1904)
"There are two species grown chiefly for this purpose, the Nopalea ... See Nopalea. Opuntia'ceae. A natural order, now place. ..."
5. Cactaceous Plants: Their History and Culture by Lewis Castle (1884)
"Nopalea ... The genus Nopalea, however, only contains three species of Indian Fig, all of which are com- ..."
6. Notes on Some Upper Cretaceous Volutidae, with Descriptions of New Species by William Healey Dall (1908)
"Nopalea GUATEMALENSIS, A NEW CACTUS FROM GUATEMALA BY JN ROSE Among the interesting ... The genus Nopalea, although closely resembling Opuntia in habit, ..."