Definition of Pagurus
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Paguridae.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Genus
Group relationships: Family Paguridae, Paguridae
Member holonyms: Hermit Crab
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pagurus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pagurus
Literary usage of Pagurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A History of Crustacea: Recent Malacostraca by Thomas Roscoe Rede Stebbing (1893)
"In Bell's ' History of British Stalk-eyed Crustacea,' ten species are named and described as belonging to the genus Pagurus, but the majority of them are ..."
2. Summarized Proceedings ... and a Directory of Members by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1850)
"Pagurus DECORUS, RANDALL—Philadelphia and Boston Cabinets. ... Pagurus TRICOLOR—Charleston Cabinet. Brought from Key West by Dr. ..."
3. List of the Specimens of the British Animals in the Collection of the by George Robert Gray, James Francis Stephens, Adam White, Frederick Smith, Henry Denny, Henry Tibbats Stainton, Edwin Shepherd (1848)
"Zoe of Pagurus Bernhardus." Presented by JV Thompson, Esq. 2. Pagurus ... Pagurus Prideaux, Leach, Mai. Pod. Brit. t. xxvi. f. 5, 6. Pagurus ..."
4. Magazine of Zoology and Botany by Prideaux John Selby, George Johnston, William Jardine (1837)
"... natural process is effected in the common crab, Cancer pagurus, Linn, and Leach; and which will be found to differ from what has been witnessed in any ..."
5. The Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal (1842)
"... and Pagurus Bernhardus. When the larvae of the common crab are newly hatched, the body is destitute of spines, but, in a short time, both the dorsal and ..."