Definition of Ploceus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Ploceidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Ploceidae, Ploceidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ploceus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ploceus
Literary usage of Ploceus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Birds of Western Africa by William Swainson, William Jardine (1862)
"... therefore consider not only as new, but as highly interesting, inasmuch as it is an aberrant example of the genus, uniting the characters of Ploceus and ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"We subdivide them as follows: Ploceus, Cur.(2) The Weavers are provided with such a large beak, that they have been partly classed with the ..."
3. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1843)
"Of Ploceus capensis. Smith, (Ploceus abyssinicus, Cuv.), Dr. Smith states that it is difl'used over the more southerly districts of South Africa, ..."
4. The Penny Cyclopædia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (Great Britain), George Long (1843)
"Ploceus spilonotus. Vigors. Description.—Upper part of the head gamboge-yellow slightly glossed with honey-yellow ; sides of the head, chin, ..."