Definition of Secretary of the Treasury
1. Noun. The person who holds the secretaryship of the Treasury Department. "Alexander Hamilton was the first Secretary of the Treasury"
2. Noun. The position of the head of the Treasury Department. "The position of Treasury Secretary was created in 1789"
Generic synonyms: Secretaryship
Group relationships: United States Cabinet, Us Cabinet
Secretary Of The Treasury Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Secretary Of The Treasury Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Secretary Of The Treasury
Literary usage of Secretary of the Treasury
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Thirty Years' View; Or, A History of the Working of the American Government by Thomas Hart Benton (1854)
"In virtue of this clause, the Secretary of the Treasury gave certain transfer drafts to the amount of two millions and a quarter ; and his legal right to ..."
2. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1912)
"The fact of the remission, by the Secretary of the Treasury, of the forfeiture of this vessel and cargo, so far as the same was incurred under the ..."
3. United States Statutes at Large: Containing the Laws and Concurrent by United States (1850)
"And be it further unacted, That it shall be the duty of the Instalments to Secretary of the Treasury, to cause the several instalments, with the in- be ..."
4. John Sherman's Recollections of Forty Years in the House, Senate and Cabinet by John Sherman (1895)
"NM Rothschild & Sons and associates, hereby agree to purchase from the Secretary of the Treasury sixteen million five hundred thousand dollars ..."
5. Official Opinions of the Attorneys General of the United States: Advising by United States Attorney-General (1852)
"POWER OF THE Secretary of the Treasury RESPECTING CER 1'AIN FLORIDA CLAIMS. Claims upon the government for injuries sustained by Spanish officers and ..."
6. A Compilation of the Messages and Papers of the Presidents, 1789-1897 by United States President (1897)
"I transmit to the Senate a report* from the Secretary of the Treasury on the subject of their resolution of the 2 ist instant. JAMES MADISON. ..."
7. Bulletin by Federal Board for Vocational Education, United States (1917)
"(g) On or before January 1 of each year, certify to the Secretary of the Treasury each State which hus accepted the provisions of the act and complied ..."
8. The Works of Alexander Hamilton: Containing His Correspondence, and His by Alexander Hamilton (1851)
"COMMENT ON THE REFERENCE OF PRIVATE CLAIMS TO THE Secretary of the Treasury BY CONGRESS. SIR: Communicated to the Senate, February 26, 1794. ..."