Definition of Sinhala
1. Noun. The Indic language spoken by the people of Sri Lanka.
2. Adjective. Of or relating to the Sinhalese languages. "The Sinhalese versions of the Ramayana"
Definition of Sinhala
1. Proper noun. The indigenous language of the majourity people of Sri Lanka. ¹
2. Proper noun. An ancient name for the island of Sri Lanka. ¹
3. Proper noun. The kingdom in the island of Sri Lanka mentioned in the Mahabharata. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sinhala Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sinhala
Literary usage of Sinhala
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Sanskrit Buddhist Literature of Nepal by Rājendralāla Mitra (1882)
"Sinhala led a nautical expedition. His vessels were overtaken by a storm, ... By the grace of the Lord to whom Sinhala was very much devoted, the passengers ..."
2. The Mahávansi, the Rájá-ratnácari, and the Rájá-vali: Forming the Sacred and by Mahānāma, Edward Upham, Abhayarāja, William Buckley Fox (1833)
"... and this island was called by him Sinhala. He afterwards built a city of that name in the wilderness of ..."
3. Life in Ancient India by Manning (Charlotte Speir), Charlotte Speir Manning, George Scharf (1856)
"A merchant, named Sinhala, went with five hundred companions to an island ... In the night Sinhala had a dream, showing him into what danger he had fallen. ..."
4. Playing the "Communal Card": Communal Violence and Human Rights by Cynthia G. Brown, Farhad Karim (1995)
""Sinhala Only" The first post-independence outbreak of ethnic rioting ... Sinhalese nationalists who supported the "Sinhala Only" legislation saw it as ..."
5. Sri Lanka by Elke Frey, Gerhard Lemmer, Jayanthi Namasivayam (2001)
"Despite the fact that the majority of tourists won't need to become acquainted with Sinhala or Tamil, a brief look at the languages' histories and ..."
6. A Historical Geography of the British Colonies by Charles Prestwood Lucas (1888)
"Sinhala means Name. ' lions' abode,' and the natives of Ceylon still use the word adjectivally to denote everything belonging to themselves, ..."