Definition of Siphonaptera
1. Noun. Fleas.
Generic synonyms: Animal Order
Group relationships: Class Hexapoda, Class Insecta, Hexapoda, Insecta
Member holonyms: Flea, Family Pulicidae, Pulicidae, Genus Tunga, Tunga, Echidnophaga, Genus Echidnophaga
Medical Definition of Siphonaptera
1. The fleas, an order of wingless insect ectoparasites highly adapted for survival in mammalian fur; they are flattened laterally, spined, and equipped with well-developed metathoracic legs for jumping. Origin: G. Siphon, tube, + G. A-priv. + pteron, wing (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Siphonaptera Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Siphonaptera
Literary usage of Siphonaptera
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Applied Entomology; an Introductory Text-book of Insects in Their Relations by Henry Torsey Fernald (1921)
"CHAPTER XXXII THE Siphonaptera The Siphonaptera or Fleas are curious, small insects ranging from about a twentieth to a sixth of an inch long. ..."
2. The Insect Book: A Popular Account of the Bees, Wasps, Ants, Grasshoppers by Leland Ossian Howard (1905)
"... FLEAS (Order Siphonaptera.) The insects of this order, comprising all of the true fleas, are all contained in a single family, the Pulicidae. ..."
3. Handbook of Medical Entomology by William Albert Riley, Oskar Augustus Johannsen (1915)
"The Siphonaptera or Fleas THE Siphonaptera OB FLEAS The Siphonaptera, or fleas (fig. 89) are wingless insects, ..."
4. Handbook of Medical Entomology by William Albert Riley, Oskar Augustus Johannsen (1915)
"The Siphonaptera or Fleas THE Siphonaptera OR FLEAS The Siphonaptera, or fleas (fig. 89) are wingless insects, ..."