Definition of Spheniscus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Spheniscidae: jackass penguins.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Spheniscidae, Spheniscidae
Member holonyms: Jackass Penguin, Spheniscus Demersus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Spheniscus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Spheniscus
Literary usage of Spheniscus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"(l) Spheniscus, Briss.(2) A compressed and straight bill, irregularly furrowed at base; end of the upper mandible hooked, that of the lower one truncated; ..."
2. Argentine Ornithology: A Descriptive Catalogue of the Birds of the Argentine by Philip Lutley Sclater, William Henry Hudson (1889)
"On the shores and islands of South America nine species occur, one of which has been met with within our limits. 424. Spheniscus MAGELLANICUS (Forst.). ..."
3. Beetles by James Duncan (1858)
"The under side and legs are black. The markings vary much, in some instances the black bands on the elytra being almost obliterated. Spheniscus ..."
4. List of the Vertebrated Animals Now Or Lately Living in the Gardens of the by London Zoo (London, England), Philip Lutley Sclater (1883)
"Spheniscus humboldti, Meyen. Humboldt's Penguin. (Fig. 58, p. 544.) Hab. Western America. а. ... Spheniscus magellanicus, Forst. Jackass Penguin. Hab. ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Spheniscus