Definition of St. Johns
1. Noun. A river in northeastern Florida that flows northward to Jacksonville and then eastward to empty into the Atlantic Ocean.
Group relationships: Everglade State, Fl, Florida, Sunshine State
Generic synonyms: River
St. Johns Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: St. Johns Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of St. Johns
Literary usage of St. Johns
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Works of Washington Irving by Washington Irving (1862)
"Chamblee, an inferior fort, within five miles of St. Johns, had been taken by Majors Brown and Livingston at the head of fifty Americans and three hundred ..."
2. Annual Report by Florida Geological Survey (1922)
"PUTNAM COUNTY Putnam County is on the St. Johns River, in northeast Florida. ... St. Johns COUNTY St. Johns County lies between the St. Johns River and the ..."
3. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists (1869)
"S WYMAN, MD THE St. Johns River, on the hanks of which are to be seen the ... Though extremely crooked, the general course of the St. Johns is somewhat to ..."
4. Calendar of State Papers by Great Britain Public Record Office, John William Fortescue (1904)
"Since preparing this report we have information of an attack upon St. Johns, where the French have wrought great destruction, barbarously used some of the ..."