Definition of Tchad
1. Noun. A landlocked desert republic in north-central Africa; was under French control until 1960.
Generic synonyms: African Country, African Nation
Terms within: Capital Of Chad, Fort-lamy, N'djamena, Ndjamena
Group relationships: Africa
Member holonyms: Chadian
Derivative terms: Chadian
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tchad Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tchad
Literary usage of Tchad
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Geologisches Zentralblatt (1908)
"Le Tchad se trouve à la limite d'une région argileuse (au Sud) formée par les dépôts ... Ces dunes forment au Nord du Tchad une sorte de triple ceinture, ..."
2. Carpenter's Geographical Reader; Africa by Frank George Carpenter (1905)
"The most important of these are Timbuktu, in the French Sudan, Kano (ka-no')( in northern Nigeria, and Kuka (koo'ka), on Lake Tchad, the two latter towns ..."
3. The New American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1862)
"The southern banks of the Tchad are flat anil low, and are extensively inundated; tot the northern are high and woody, and here elephants are found in vast ..."
4. The Wild Tribes of the Soudan: An Account of Travel and Sport Chiefly in the by Frank Linsly James (1883)
"Perilous Ascent of Tchad-Amba. — The Church. —The Monks. ... WE passed a very curious mountain named Tchad-Amba, which we left on our right. ..."
5. The Wild Tribes of the Soudan: An Account of Travel and Sport Chiefly in the by Frank Linsly James (1883)
"Perilous Ascent of Tchad-Amba. — The Church. — The Monks. ... WE passed a very curious mountain named Tchad-Amba, which we left on our right. ..."
6. Africa by Frank George Carpenter (1916)
"ABOUT KUKA AND LAKE Tchad WE have sailed down the Nile from Uganda for some distance, and thence crossed the vast expanse of country between that river and ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Tchad