Definition of Trichechidae
1. Noun. Comprising only the manatees.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Family
Group relationships: Order Sirenia, Sirenia
Member holonyms: Genus Trichecus, Trichechus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Trichechidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Trichechidae
Literary usage of Trichechidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1903)
"In the hair seals, Otariidae, and walrus, Trichechidae, the hinder limbs have not undergone so much modification and are capable of being turned forward in ..."
2. ... Arrangement of the Families of Mammals. With Analytical Tables by Theodore Gill (1874)
"Teeth of the complete series—at least of Trichechidae—M |tf, CJ, I ?X2; the upper incisors only persistent, the others as well as the canines being ..."
3. Smithsonian Miscellaneous Collections by Smithsonian Institution (1874)
"Trichechidae. (LZ.) U Tail forked, and with the vertebrae (except the terminal) ... Teeth of the complete series — at least of Trichechidae — M $Ijj, CJ, ..."
4. Arrangement of the Families of Mammals: With Analytical Tables. Prepared for ...by Theodore Gill by Theodore Gill (1874)
"Trichechidae. (LX.) II Tail forked, and with the vertebrae (except the terminal) ... Teeth of the complete series — at least of Trichechidae — M |:Jj, ..."
5. The Cambridge Natural History by Sidney Frederick Harmer, Arthur Everett Shipley (1902)
"There is a Fur Seal, 0. nigrescens, in South America as well as the more widely-known northern form. Fam. 2. Trichechidae.—This family contains but one ..."