Definition of Turkish Empire
1. Noun. A Turkish sultanate of southwestern Asia and northeastern Africa and southeastern Europe; created by the Ottoman Turks in the 13th century and lasted until the end of World War I; although initially small it expanded until it superseded the Byzantine Empire.
Generic synonyms: Empire, Imperium
Group relationships: Africa, Asia, Europe
Turkish Empire Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Turkish Empire Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Turkish Empire
Literary usage of Turkish Empire
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Haydn's Dictionary of Dates and Universal Information Relating to All Ages by Joseph Haydn, Benjamin Vincent (1889)
"30 March, „ [See Loans 1854-5) TURKEY. Great Britain, Fr.mce, and Austria guarantee integrity of Turkish empire . ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1920)
"(Munich 1917) ; Eversley, Lord, 'The Turkish Empire: Its growth and decay' (London 1917); Ferriman, ZD, 'Turkey and the Turks' (ib 1911); Freeman, EA, ..."
3. The New World: Problems in Political Geography by Isaiah Bowman (1921)
"Before the Balkan wars the Turkish Empire was as large as Russia in Europe; ... EDITS RIRA NEAN S DECLINE OF THE Turkish Empire Extreme limits ["^Losses by ..."
4. Woodrow Wilson and World Settlement by Ray Stannard Baker (1922)
"CHAPTER IV THE Turkish Empire AS BOOTY — TERMS OF THE SECRET TREATIES AND AGREEMENTS FOR THE PARTITION OF TURKEY WE COME now to the most illuminating of all ..."
5. The Theological and Literary Journal (1851)
"The Turkish empire, under the same designation which it had previously borne, is here manifestly represented, anew . . . Symbolized by the Euphrates, ..."
6. Essays on the Progress of Nations in Civilization, Productive Industry by Ezra Champion Seaman (1868)
"History and Probable Destiny of the Turkish Empire. The empire of the Saracens was declining and crumbling to pieces by reason of successful invasions, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Turkish Empire