Definition of Abdominal pregnancy
1. Noun. Ectopic pregnancy in the abdominal cavity.
Medical Definition of Abdominal pregnancy
1. The implantation and development of the ovum in the peritoneal cavity, usually secondary to an early rupture of a tubal pregnancy; very rarely, primary implantation may occur in the peritoneal cavity. Synonym: abdominocyesis, intraperitoneal pregnancy. (05 Mar 2000)
Abdominal Pregnancy Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Abdominal Pregnancy Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Abdominal Pregnancy
Literary usage of Abdominal pregnancy
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Surgical Clinics of North America by Stanley P. L. Leong (1922)
"abdominal pregnancy PATIENT is a married woman, thirty-six years of age. Family history is negative, she being one of 7 children, all well and healthy. ..."
2. A Treatise on the science and practice of midwifery by William Smoult Playfair (1876)
"... more advanced period, or even to term, so that when the ovum is placed in this situation the case much more nearly resembles one of abdominal pregnancy. ..."
3. A Treatise on the Science and Practice of Midwifery by William Smoult Playfair (1884)
"... and as the secondary cyst generally stretches and grows along with it, most cases of abdominal pregnancy progress without any very remarkable symptoms, ..."
4. The Practitioner by Gale Group, ProQuest Information and Learning Company (1903)
"First of all you will find described " abdominal pregnancy," that is to say, ... With regard to secondary abdominal pregnancy, nobody doubts that; ..."
5. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1907)
"At about the seventh month abdominal section was performed, and abdominal pregnancy was found, the placenta being attached to the intestine over the right ..."
6. The Science and Art of Midwifery by William Thompson Lusk (1896)
"abdominal pregnancy. — Symptoms. — Terminations. — Diagnosis. ... Mr. Tait denies the possibility of a primary abdominal pregnancy. ..."
7. Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics by The American College of Surgeons, Franklin H. Martin Memorial Foundation (1913)
"Since the paper was published I find that only the literature listed in the Index Medicus under "abdominal pregnancy" was reported to me. ..."