Definition of Abydos
1. Noun. An ancient Greek colony on the Asiatic side of the Dardanelles; scene of the legend of Hero and Leander.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Abydos Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Abydos
Literary usage of Abydos
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Thucydides Translated Into English by Benjamin Jowett, Thucydides (1881)
"He was to effect the revolt with twelve of abydos, a Milesian colony. ... abydos would not yield, and though he attempted to take the place by assault, ..."
2. Egypt: Handbook for Travellers by Karl Baedeker (Firm), Baedeker, Karl, firm, Karl Baedeker (1902)
"Fine view of the mountain- chain running towards the Nile. The ancient abydos, the sacred city of the Egyptians, lay on the verge of the arable land, ..."
3. Ancient Records of Egypt: Historical Documents from the Earliest Times to by James Henry Breasted (1906)
"These companions said: "That which thou commandest [is that which happens, O sovereign]10 and lord; thou doest all — in abydos for thy father, ..."
4. History of Egypt, Chaldea, Syria, Babylonia, and Assyria by Gaston Maspero (1904)
"CHAPTER Vin IMPORTANT RESEARCHES IN EGYPT The Royal Tombs at abydos: Reconstruction of the First and Second Dynasties : The Ten Temples at abydos: The ..."
5. The Nile: Notes for Travellers in Egypt by Ernest Alfred Wallis Budge (1907)
"at abydos are visited by Messrs. Cook's travellers l the return journey to Cairo. ... abydos, and not abydos, is clear from :— «ai ..."
6. The American Antiquarian and Oriental Journal by Stephen Denison Peet (1903)
"Flinders Pétrie to the London Times outlines his work at abydos during the present year: To the Editor of the Times: SIR: The continuation of the work of ..."
7. Transactions of the Royal Society of Literature of the United Kingdom by Royal Society of Literature (Great Britain) (1839)
"... Series of Princes of the Hieroglyphic Tablets of Karnak and abydos. ... of the obliterated portion of that of abydos; a delineation of which was laid ..."