Definition of Acid test
1. Noun. A rigorous or crucial appraisal.
Definition of Acid test
1. Noun. (idiomatic) a rigorous test or appraisal of the quality or worth of something ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Acid Test Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Acid Test Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Acid Test
Literary usage of Acid test
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Journal of the American Chemical Society by American Chemical Society (1901)
"... hydrogen sulphide in a solution of the corresponding halogen acid. UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN, MADISON, Wis. A MODIFICATION OF THE SULPHURIC acid test FOR ..."
2. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage by Inc. Merriam-Webster (1994)
"acid test Back in when HW Fowler was compiling his magnum opus (Fowler), he noted that acid test had the greatest vogue of all the popularized ..."
3. A Manual of clinical diagnosis by means of microscopic and chemical methods by Charles Edmund Simon (1907)
"Other tests have also been suggested for the detection of albumin in the urine, such as the metaphosphoric acid test, the phenol, ..."
4. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1911)
"If the gastric filtrate is so turbid that dilution with an equal quantity of distilled water does not clear it the acetic acid test cannot be employed. ..."
5. Pharmaceutical Journal by Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (1851)
"Those required for ordinary use are the ammonia test of 50° and muriatic acid test of 100°. From time to time, the accuracy of the ammonia test is to be ..."
6. Standard Methods of Chemical Analysis: A Manual of Analytical Methods and by Wilfred Welday Scott (1922)
"See chapter on Water Analysis. Detection of Nitrous Acid. Acetic acid test. Acetic acid added to a nitrite in a test-tube (inclined as directed in the ..."
7. The Pharmacopoeia of the United States of America: (The United States by United States Pharmacopoeial Convention (1820)
"Tannic acid test Solution.—Dissolve 1 Gm. of tannic acid (see page 26) in I. mil of alcohol, ... Trinitrophenol Test Solution (Picric acid test Solution), ..."
8. American Druggist (1891)
"Sulphuric acid test.—Of fifty-four samples of olive oil, twenty-four gave no color ... The sulphuric acid test, therefore, is of no value whatever, ..."