Definition of Aerides
1. Noun. Any orchid of the genus Aerides.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Aerides Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Aerides
Literary usage of Aerides
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Greenhouse Management: A Manual for Florists and Flower Lovers on the by Levi Rawson Taft (1898)
"... and aerides, are grown iu pots, they should be nearly filled with potsherds and covered with a layer of peat and sphagnum ; the plants placed upon this, ..."
2. Journal of Horticulture, Cottage Gardener and Country Gentlemen (1878)
"Goodall ; aerides Veitchii, fine plant, two breaks, 23 gs., Berrie ; aerides ... true, fine plant of this rare species, 14 gs., Lord Londesborough ; aerides ..."
3. The Floricultural Cabinet, and Florists Magazine by Joseph Harrison (1851)
"... a Phalaenopsis, a variety of aerides crispum, the African Ansellia, a neat bush of Dendrobium caerulescens, a variety of Vanda ..."
4. Orchidaceae: Illustrations and Studies of the Family Orchidaceae by Oakes Ames (1915)
"It has purplish flowers and a very long spur on the labellum. 2. aerides ... Chron. (1883) 2 :460, 307, 368. MINDANAO. 3. aerides odoratum Lour. ..."