Definition of Agency
1. Noun. An administrative unit of government. "Tennessee Valley Authority"
Specialized synonyms: Afrl, Air Force Research Laboratory, Ahpcrc, Army High Performance Computing Research Center, Naval Research Laboratory, Nrl, U.s. Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory, United States Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory, Us Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory, Usacil
Generic synonyms: Administrative Body, Administrative Unit
Specialized synonyms: Executive Agency, Fda, Food And Drug Administration, Cdc, Center For Disease Control And Prevention, Counterterrorist Center, Ctc, Nonproliferation Center, Npc, Bureau Of The Census, Census Bureau, National Oceanic And Atmospheric Administration, Noaa, National Climatic Data Center, Ncdc, National Weather Service, Technology Administration, National Institute Of Standards And Technology, Nist, National Technical Information Service, Ntis, Darpa, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Department Of Defense Laboratory System, Lablink, Department Of Energy Intelligence, Doei, Phs, United States Public Health Service, National Institutes Of Health, Nih, Bja, Bureau Of Justice Assistance, Bjs, Bureau Of Justice Statistics, Immigration And Naturalization Service, Ins, United States Border Patrol, Us Border Patrol, Bureau Of Diplomatic Security, Ds, Foreign Service, Bureau Of Intelligence And Research, Inr, Fws, United States Fish And Wildlife Service, Us Fish And Wildlife Service, National Park Service, Financial Management Service, Office Of Intelligence Support, Ois, Comptroller Of The Currency, Bureau Of Customs, Customs Bureau, Customs Service, Uscb, Bureau Of Engraving And Printing, Internal Revenue Service, Irs, Faa, Federal Aviation Agency, Transportation Security Administration, Tsa, Gao, Government Accounting Office, United States Government Accounting Office, Navy, United States Navy, Us Navy, Usn, U. S. Coast Guard, United States Coast Guard, Us Coast Guard, Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division, Nawcwpns, Naval Special Warfare, Nsw, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Nswc, Naval Underwater Warfare Center, Nuwc, Office Of Naval Intelligence, Oni, Marine Corps Intelligence Activity, Mcia, Air Force, U. S. Air Force, United States Air Force, Us Air Force, Usaf, Afisr, Air Force Intelligence Surveillance And Reconnaissance, Air Force Isr, Independent Agency, Advanced Research And Development Activity, Arda, Defense Logistics Agency, Defense Reutilization And Marketing Service, Drms, Defense Technical Information Center, Dtic, Law Enforcement Agency, Occupational Safety And Health Administration, Osha, Organ, Patent And Trademark Office Database, Patent Office, Government Printing Office, Gpo, United States Government Printing Office, Us Government Printing Office, National Guard Bureau, Ngb, Army, U. S. Army, United States Army, Us Army, Usa, Ai, Army Intelligence, Ballistic Missile Defense Organization, Bmdo, Defense Information Systems Agency, Disa, National Geospatial-intelligence Agency, Nga, Casualty Care Research Center, Ccrc, Federal Housing Administration, Fha, Local Authority
Derivative terms: Official
2. Noun. A business that serves other businesses.
Specialized synonyms: Ad Agency, Advertising Agency, Credit Bureau, Detective Agency, Employment Agency, Employment Office, Commercial Agency, Mercantile Agency, News Agency, News Organisation, News Organization, Press Agency, Press Association, Wire Service, Service Agency, Service Bureau, Service Firm, Travel Agency, Transfer Agent
3. Noun. The state of being in action or exerting power. "She has free agency"
Specialized synonyms: Frankenstein
Derivative terms: Agent, Agential
4. Noun. The state of serving as an official and authorized delegate or agent.
Generic synonyms: State
Specialized synonyms: Free Agency, Legal Representation, Virus
Derivative terms: Agent, Represent
5. Noun. How a result is obtained or an end is achieved. "The true way to success"
Generic synonyms: Effectuation, Implementation
Specialized synonyms: Dint, Escape, Fast Track, Instrument, Tool, Road, Stepping Stone, Expedient, Desperate Measure, Open Sesame, Salvation, Tooth, Voice, Wings
Derivative terms: Agential
Definition of Agency
1. n. The faculty of acting or of exerting power; the state of being in action; action; instrumentality.
Definition of Agency
1. Noun. The faculty of acting or of exerting power; the state of being in action; action; instrumentality. ¹
2. Noun. agent ¹
3. Noun. The office of an agent, or factor. ¹
4. Noun. The relation between a principal and his agent. ¹
5. Noun. Business of one entrusted with the concerns of another. ¹
6. Noun. The place of business of an agent. ¹
7. Noun. A bond issued by a US government-backed entity, such as Fannie Mae. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Agency
1. an organization that does business for others [n -CIES]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Agency Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Agency
Literary usage of Agency
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1906)
"Sheet» : 212, parts of States Gwalior, Indore, and Jhabua (CI agency), ... agency), Season 1872-73, additions to 1904.—Central Provinces Survey, 1 inch to ..."
2. The Social Welfare Forum: Official Proceedings [of The] Annual Meeting by National Conference on Social Welfare, American Social Science Association (1921)
"THE RESPONSIBILITY OF A FAMILY agency AT A TIME OF INDUSTRIAL READJUSTMENT ... As the family agency stresses more and more positive values it finds If ..."
3. Access EPA: Public Information Tools (1994)
"It is updated periodically when EPA issues new agency-wide data standards or when other improvements to the catalog are identified. ..."
4. Principles of the Law of Contract by William Reynell Anson, Orlando Wesley Aldrich (1880)
"APPENDIX B. agency. agency Ia a IT is hardly possible to avoid dealing with the ... And yet agency is, strictly speaking, a special contract, the details of ..."