Definition of Al jolson
1. Noun. United States singer (born in Russia) who appeared in the first full-length talking film (1886-1950).
Generic synonyms: Actor, Histrion, Player, Role Player, Thespian, Singer, Vocaliser, Vocalist, Vocalizer
Al Jolson Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Al Jolson Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Al Jolson
Literary usage of Al jolson
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Hollywood & the Best of Los Angeles Alive!by Robert White, Phyllis White by Robert White, Phyllis White (2002)
"HILLSIDE MEMORIAL PARK 6001 West Centinela Avenue Baldwin Hills •a 310-641-0707 al jolson (1886-1950) had a 40-year career that took him from the stage to ..."
2. Monarchs of Minstrelsy, from "Daddy" Rice to Date by Edward Le Roy Rice (1911)
"AL. JOLSON (Albert Joelson). Seldom in the annals of minstrelsy has a performer risen to such heights, and achieved such success in the brief period that ..."
3. Theatre Arts by Society of Arts and Crafts, Detroit (1922)
"Mr. al jolson, who is the best in this field, will serve as an example; he has undoubted talent and a great knowledge in the means by which his ends are ..."
4. Continental Stagecraft by Kenneth Macgowan, Robert Edmond Jones (1922)
"In fact he takes good care, if he is a wise clown, that the footlights shan't be there to interfere. If he is al jolson, he insists on a runway or a little ..."
5. Our American Humorists by Thomas Lansing Masson (1922)
"The individual who so sincerely flatters al jolson has told a series of loud stories, and has rushed back and forth, shaking the house with a song about the ..."