Definition of Al qahira
1. Noun. The capital of Egypt and the largest city in Africa; a major port just to the south of the Nile delta; formerly the home of the Pharaohs.
Generic synonyms: Port, National Capital
Group relationships: Arab Republic Of Egypt, Egypt, United Arab Republic
Member holonyms: Cairene
Al Qahira Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Al Qahira Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Al Qahira
Literary usage of Al qahira
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Egypt by Eva Ambros (2001)
"For **Cairo O (Arabic: Al-Qahira) is not only the largest city in Africa - with ... While Al-Qahira, the namesake of modern Cairo, was not actually founded ..."
2. An Oriental Biographical Dictionary by Thomas William Beale, Henry George Keene (1894)
"... Africa and built the city Al-Qahira in Egypt, commonly called Grand Cairo, and died after a reign of 24 years in AD 976, 19th Rabi' II. An 365. ..."
3. Diversity, Globalization, and the Ways of Nature by Antón, Danilo J (1995)
"Almost three centuries later, the town of al Qahira was founded in a neighbouring site and, under Saladin, the four locales were united into a larger city. ..."
4. The Sword of Islam by Arthur Naylor Wollaston (1905)
"The fourth Khalif (AD 955-978) built the city of al qahira, now commonly called Cairo, and transferred the seat of government to that capital. ..."