Definition of Albany
1. Noun. State capital of New York; located in eastern New York State on the west bank of the Hudson river.
Generic synonyms: State Capital
Group relationships: Empire State, New York, New York State, Ny
2. Noun. A town in southwest Georgia; processing center for peanuts and pecans.
Definition of Albany
1. Proper noun. The capital of the state of New York, United States, population 95,658 (2000 census) ¹
2. Proper noun. A city in Georgia, United States, population 76,939 (2000 census) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Albany Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Albany
Literary usage of Albany
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York public library (1909)
"Laws, ordinances and regulations of the city of albany governing.. .buildings. ... albany Chamber of Commerce. The great western staircase at the Capitol, ..."
2. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York Public Library (1900)
"albany : Printed by Charles R. & George Webster, nd 209 pp. F°. ... albany: Loring Andrews, nd 322 pp. F°. 1808. - Journal of the Assembly of the State of ..."
3. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1885)
"That the amounts collected from the said stockholders and paid to the treasurer of the county of albany, and the times when the said amounts were so paid to ..."
4. Harper's New Monthly Magazine by Henry Mills Alden (1881)
"Once more I stand, but now unknown, by sacred I Hudson'« tide, With unfamiliar scenes around, no friendly band to guide; For in albany, forsooth, ..."
5. Bulletin by United States Bureau of Labor, United States Office of Education (1912)
"For example, Hamilton elsewhere says of his same trip to albany: "At ten o'clock we went to the English church, where was the meanest congregation ever I ..."