Definition of Alder buckthorn
1. Noun. Small tree common in Europe.
Alder Buckthorn Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Alder Buckthorn Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Alder Buckthorn
Literary usage of Alder buckthorn
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Plant Names, Scientific and Popular, Including in the Case of Each Plant the by Albert Brown Lyons (1900)
"Southeastern US Southern or Carolina Buckthorn, alder buckthorn, ... Europe, northern Africa to middle Asia, sparingly nat. in US alder buckthorn, ..."
2. Autumnal Leaves by Francis George Heath (1885)
"POPLAR, WHITE POPLAR, BLACK POPLAR, ASPEN, WILLOW, alder buckthorn. *- ' ^ PLATE 10. FIGURES 1 то 26. OLDEN almost in hue in its final stage of colouring ..."
3. A Medical formulary based on the United States and British pharmacopoeias by Laurence Johnson (1881)
"... melted with a gentle heat, add the resin, and mix, RHAMNUS FRANGULA— ALDER BUCKTHORN. The bark of Rhamnus frangula, L. (Nat., ord., ..."
4. Chambers's Encyclopædia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People by Chambers, W. and R., publ (1876)
"The bark affords a beautiful yellow dye. The B. is sometimes planted for hedges, but is of too strap;- gling a habit.—The alder buckthorn, or ..."