Definition of Aliphatic compound
1. Noun. Organic compound that is an alkane or alkene or alkyne or their derivative.
Generic synonyms: Organic Compound
Medical Definition of Aliphatic compound
1. An organic compound in which the chain does not form a ring. Synonym: aliphatic compound, open chain compound. (05 Mar 2000)
Aliphatic Compound Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Aliphatic Compound Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Aliphatic Compound
Literary usage of Aliphatic compound
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A German-English Dictionary for Chemists by Austin McDowell Patterson (1917)
"... pa united to an aliphatic compound or radical. Fettgehalt, m. Sat content. ... m. fatty compound, fat; aliphatic compound; fatty or greasy matter. ..."
2. Organic Chemistry for Advanced Students by Julius Berend Cohen (1907)
"... loses its aromatic character and takes that of an aliphatic compound. In this case the compound is termed alicyclic = ac ..."
3. Practical organic and bio-chemistry by Robert Henry Aders Plimmer (1920)
"As an unsaturated aliphatic compound cinnamic acid forms addition compounds with bromine and halogen acids. It is converted by reduction into ..."
4. A Compendium of Chemistry: Including General, Inorganic, and Organic Chemistry by Carl Arnold (1904)
"... with its derivatives, like a saturated aliphatic compound (see below). The most important compounds of this class are those of the terpene group, ..."
5. Cod-liver Oil and Chemistry by Frantz Peckel Møller, Peter Møller Heyerdahl (1895)
"As said before, we have not succeeded in combining nitrosyl with any aliphatic compound, except in one or two cases to be subsequently (pp. ..."