Definition of Alopecurus
1. Noun. Annual or perennial grasses including decorative and meadow species as well as notorious agricultural weeds.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Graminaceae, Family Gramineae, Family Poaceae, Graminaceae, Gramineae, Grass Family, Poaceae
Member holonyms: Alopecurus Pratensis, Meadow Foxtail
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Alopecurus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Alopecurus
Literary usage of Alopecurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Natural History of British Grasses by Edward Joseph Lowe (1871)
"alopecurus—Fox.tail. Agrestis—A field. A USELESS agricultural Grass, indeed cattle refuse to feed upon it; when once it takes possession of a field it is ..."
2. The Agricultural Grasses of the United States by George Vasey, Clifford Richardson, United States Division of Botany (1884)
"alopecurus ... A species resembling the alopecurus pratensis grows in alpine meadows iu the Rocky Mountains. ..."
3. Forage Plants and Their Culture by Charles Vancouver Piper (1914)
"The variety sold as Festuca dumetorum is apparently Festuca rubra grandiflora, which is somewhat larger than the typical form. MEADOW FOXTAIL (alopecurus ..."
4. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1896)
"I49 3. alopecurus pratensis L. Meadow Foxtail. (Fig. 338.) alopecurus ... alopecurus alpinus JE Smith. Alpine Foxtail. (Fig. 339.) alopecurus alpinus JE ..."
Other Resources Relating to: Alopecurus