Definition of Alveolar process
1. Noun. A ridge that forms the borders of the upper and lower jaws and contains the sockets of the teeth.
Terms within: Alveolus, Tooth Socket, Alveolar Artery, Arteria Alveolaris
Generic synonyms: Appendage, Outgrowth, Process
Group relationships: Jaw
Medical Definition of Alveolar process
1. That portion of bone in either the maxilla or the mandible which surrounds and supports the teeth. (12 Dec 1998)
Alveolar Process Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Alveolar Process Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Alveolar Process
Literary usage of Alveolar process
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Anatomy, Descriptive and Applied by Henry Gray (1913)
"The alveolar process is the thickest and most spongy part of the bone. It is broader behind than in front, and excavated into deep cavities for the ..."
2. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1868)
"10; cleft through hard and soft palates, and alveolar process; ... 19 ; cleft through soft palate, and left side of hard palate and alveolar process. ..."
3. Edinburgh Medical and Surgical Journal (1830)
"That portion of the upper jaw, out of which the two front teeth grew, was in like manner detached from the rest of the alveolar process, and carried forward ..."
4. Surgery and diseases of the mouth and jaws: A Practical Treatise on the by Vilray Papin Blair (1917)
"CONGENITAL CLEFTS OF THE LIP AND alveolar process—OPERATIVE CORRECTION. ... Showing a condition in which the end of the alveolar process to the outer side ..."
5. Operative surgery, for students and practitioners by John Joseph McGrath (1909)
"Lateral clefts of the upper lip and the alveolar process; clefts of the palate may also be conveniently included in this group. 2. Median clefts or notches ..."
6. American Journal of Dental Science by American Society of Dental Surgeons (1891)
"ARTICLE V. AFFECTIONS LIKELY TO OCCUR IN THE alveolar process. ... "Necrosis of the alveolar process occurs very frequently while the system is under the ..."
7. Developmental Pathology by Eugene Solomon Talbot (1905)
"It will be noticed that there is a space in the alveolar process and that the apical end of the root is denuded, the fibrous tissue being entirely destroyed ..."