Definition of Alytes obstetricans
1. Noun. European toad whose male carries the fertilized eggs wrapped around its hind legs until they hatch.
Generic synonyms: Anuran, Batrachian, Frog, Salientian, Toad, Toad Frog
Group relationships: Alytes, Genus Alytes
Alytes Obstetricans Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Alytes Obstetricans Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Alytes Obstetricans
Literary usage of Alytes obstetricans
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1900)
"'66 CLAUS, C. Ueber das Vorkommen von alytes obstetricans in der Umgebung Marburgs, ... Moeurs et accouchement de 1'alytes obstetricans. Ann. Sci. Nat. ..."
2. Catalogue of the Batrachia Salientia in the Collection of the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1858)
"Tent. p. 179. Bufo, sp., Rana, sp., auet. prior. 1. alytes obstetricans. ... alytes obstetricans, Wagl. lc, and Ic. Amph. t. 22. f. ..."
3. Chondrocranium, Amphibia by Henry Fox, Oliver Perry Hay, William A. Hilton, Henry Spencer Houghton, Benjamin Freeman Kingsbury, John Sterling Kingsley, Walter George Ridewood, W. H. van Seters, Guy Munroe Winslow (1890)
"Cette supposition devient plus vraisemblable quand on compare à cet égard Rana fusca et alytes obstetricans. L'arc occipital à'Alytes est bien marqué dès le ..."
4. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1891)
"To mention a well-known example, the Midwife Toad, alytes obstetricans, so common in many parts of the Continent, but so seldom met with in the daytime, ..."