Definition of Amebocyte
1. Noun. (alternative spelling of amoebocyte) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Amebocyte
1. [n -S]
Medical Definition of Amebocyte
1. 1. A wandering cell found in invertebrates. 2. Obsolete term for leukocyte. 3. An in vitro tissue culture leukocyte. Origin: amoeba, + kytos, cell (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Amebocyte Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Amebocyte
Literary usage of Amebocyte
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. International Medical and Surgical Surveyby American Institute of Medicine by American Institute of Medicine (1922)
"(la—403) (la—403) The Effect of Various Salts on the Outgrowth from Experimental amebocyte Tissue near the Iso-Electric Point ..."
2. Niosh Manual of Analytical Methods: Sampling and Analytical Methods for edited by Peter M. Eller (1994)
"After exposure to the lysed amebocyte cells, a liquid suspension containing trace levels ... This test is called the Limulus amebocyte lysate (LAL) assay. ..."
3. Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine (1903)
"(15) with limulus amebocyte lysate (Worthing- ton); (iv) endotoxin + Ep treated—daily injections of 10 jug of endotoxin plus twice daily injections of 0.5 ..."
4. Preventing the Forward Contamination of Mars by National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Preventing the Forward Contamination of Mars, National Research Council (U.S.). Space Studies Board, National Research Council (U.S.). Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences (2006)
"... billion years ago ICSU International Council for Science JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory LAL limulus amebocyte lysate LDEF Long Duration Exposure Facility ..."
5. Papers and Proceedings of the Surgeon General's Conference on Agricultural edited by Melvin L. Myers (1994)
"Endotoxin analyses were performed on 31 samples in duplicate using the kinetic Limulus amebocyte lysate assay. Product inhibition was found in 27 of the 31 ..."
6. A Pocket medical dictionary: Giving the Pronunciation and Definition of the ...by George Milbry Gould by George Milbry Gould (1920)
"amebocyte, am-e1 ~bo~slt. A leukocyte. Ame'boid. Having the movements of an ameba. Ameb'ula. A merozoite having the power of ameboid motion. ..."
7. Code of Federal Regulations by Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Staff (2005)
"... amebocyte Lysate Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Virus Vaccine Live. Measles and Mumps Virus Vaccine Live Measles and Rubella Virus Vaccine Live Measles ..."