Definition of American football game
1. Noun. A game played by two teams of 11 players on a rectangular field 100 yards long; teams try to get possession of the ball and advance it across the opponents goal line in a series of (running or passing) plays.
Examples of category: Fumble, Muff, Centering, Snap, Fair Catch, Interception, Reception, Straight-arm, Touchback, Safety, Touchdown, Field Goal, Extra Point, Point After, Point After Touchdown, Down, Completion, Pass Completion, Football Play, Run, Running, Running Game, Running Play, Draw, Draw Play, End Run, Sweep, Return, Reverse, Rush, Rushing, Pass, Passing, Passing Game, Passing Play, Power Play, Handoff, Tackle, Interference, Trap Block, Back, Lineman, Scrimmage, Blitz, Linebacker Blitzing, Safety Blitz, Mousetrap, Trap Play
Generic synonyms: Football, Football Game
Specialized synonyms: Touch Football
American Football Game Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: American Football Game Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of American Football Game
Literary usage of American football game
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. American Physical Education Review by American Physical Education Association (1920)
"Old- time water polo bears a comparison with the regular american football game in point of roughness, tackling, and piling up on the man with the ball. ..."
2. The Story of the Exposition: Being the Official History of the International by Frank Morton Todd (1921)
"... November 13; American Football game on the Marina, November 14; George Washington Day, National Society Children of the American Revolution Day, ..."
3. The American College by Isaac Sharpless (1915)
"The american football game, as played in the fall by nearly all American colleges for men, is an evolution of the Rugby with some national characteristics ..."
4. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company, Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept (1913)
"This has always been the aim of the university authorities, and was the real motive back of the faculty suppression of the old american football game and ..."
5. Oregon Through Alien Eyes by John Leader (1922)
"Certainly there is a great difference between the attitude of the rooters in an English and in an american football game. When I first went to college, ..."
6. From Doniphan to Verdun: The Official History of the 140th Infantry by Evan Alexander Edwards (1920)
""But they could have learned something about putting on a big noise from an american football game," said the doughboy. When the Armistice was signed, ..."
Other Resources Relating to: American football game