Definition of Amines
1. Noun. (plural of amine) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Amines
1. amine [n] - See also: amine
Medical Definition of Amines
1. A group of compounds derived from ammonia by substituting organic radicals for the hydrogens. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Amines Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Amines
Literary usage of Amines
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry by Thomas Edward Thorpe (1921)
"The primary and secondary amines may be regenerated by hydrolysis of the acetyl ... Several of the aliphatic primary and secondary amines react with ethyl ..."
2. A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry by Thomas Edward Thorpe (1912)
"The products obtained may contain haloid salts of one or all of the possible amines, and of the quaternary bases. In the preparation on the large scale of ..."
3. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1915)
"A test for aromatic amines based upon the fact that the oxalates of most primary aromatic amines are only sparingly soluble in water while those of ..."
4. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"The aromatic amines in some respects resemble the aliphatic amines, ... On the other hand, they are much weaker bases than the aliphatic amines, ..."
5. The Chemistry of Plant Life by Roscoe Wilfred Thatcher (1921)
"These are (a) the plant amines, which are simple open-chain amines; (6) the alkaloids, ... THE PLANT amines The simple amines bear the relation to ammonia, ..."
6. A Dictionary of Chemistry and the Allied Branches of Other Sciences by Henry Watts (1863)
"Primary amines.—They represent 1 molecule of ammonia, in which 1 atom of ... H' Primary amines containing metals are generally obtained by the action of ..."
7. Practical organic and bio-chemistry by Robert Henry Aders Plimmer (1920)
"amines. The amines are compounds which are derived from ammonia by the ... Primary amines may be regarded as derived from hydrocarbons in which a hydrogen ..."