Definition of Anise tree
1. Noun. Any of several evergreen shrubs and small trees of the genus Illicium.
Specialized synonyms: Illicium Floridanum, Purple Anise, Illicium Anisatum, Star Anise, Chinese Anise, Illicium Verum, Star Anise
Generic synonyms: Tree
Anise Tree Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Anise Tree Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Anise Tree
Literary usage of Anise tree
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Plant Names, Scientific and Popular, Including in the Case of Each Plant the by Albert Brown Lyons (1900)
"(I. anisatum Gaertn., not L.). Southeastern China, cult, in China and Japan. Chinese anise tree. Fruit, _ Star-anise, Chinese Anise; ..."
2. The Volatile Oils by Eduard Gildemeister, Friedrich Hoffmann (1900)
"... Japanese star anise tree, which is ill-famed on account of its poisonous fruits, ... The fruits of the Japanese star anise tree also contain a volatile ..."
3. The Encyclopædia of Geography: Comprising a Complete Description of the by Hugh Murray, William Wallace, Robert Jameson, William Jackson Hooker, William Swainson, Thomas Gamaliel Bradford (1837)
"... Ailanthus glandulosa, the Sasanqua and Camellia, the anise tree (Illicium anisatum), the Hydrangea ..."
4. The American Botanist edited by Willard Nelson Clute (1901)
"With the dogwood blooms the anise-tree ... all the more surprising in the anise-tree when it is known that this is closely related to the snowy magnolias. ..."