Definition of Ant bird
1. Noun. Any of various dull-colored South American birds that feeding on ants some following army ant swarms.
Generic synonyms: Tyrannid
Group relationships: Family Formicariidae, Formicariidae
Specialized synonyms: Ant Thrush, Ant Shrike, Hylophylax Naevioides, Spotted Antbird
Medical Definition of Ant bird
Ant Bird Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Ant Bird Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Ant Bird
Literary usage of Ant bird
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Nests and Eggs of North American Birds by Oliver Davie (1889)
"ant bird. Its general habits and nesting are in nowise peculiar, being similar to those of others of the family. The nest is usually a large, ..."
2. Our Search for a Wilderness: An Account of Two Ornithological Expeditions to by Blair Niles, William Beebe (1910)
"One, a White-shouldered Pygmy Ant-bird," now flits ahead of us, tiny as a Wren, slate-colored, with white dots on the lesser coverts of the wings and a ..."
3. British Exploits in South America: A History of British Activities in by William Henry Koebel (1917)
"... spending day after day in the study of a single species of ant, bird, or beast, and adding to his invaluable collections all the time. ..."
4. The New Sydenham Society's Lexicon of Medicine and the Allied Sciences ...by Henry Power, Leonard William Sedgwick, New Sydenham Society by Henry Power, Leonard William Sedgwick, New Sydenham Society (1882)
"Clamato res. (L. clamo, to call ont.) A Suborder of Passerine birds. It includes the Australian lyre birds, the American ant bird, and others. ..."