Definition of Antacids
1. Noun. (plural of antacid) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Antacids
1. antacid [n] - See also: antacid
Medical Definition of Antacids
1. Substances that counteract or neutralise acidity. They are used mainly for the treatment of gastrointestinal irritation or ulcers. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Antacids Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Antacids
Literary usage of Antacids
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Materia Medica: Pharmacology, Therapeutics and Prescription Writing for by Walter Arthur Bastedo (1918)
"antacids The therapeutically employed antacids are 'certain salts of the alkalies, ... The antacids are of two types: I. Those of alkaline reaction. II. ..."
2. An Analytical compendium of the various branches of medical science by John Neill, Francis Gurney Smith (1866)
"One of the most valuable of the antacids; — very powerful, in consequence of its low ... As antacids, the carbonate is given in the dose of 10 to 20 grains; ..."
3. Therapeutics: its principles and practice by Horatio C. Wood (1906)
"antacids are, strictly speaking, substances which are capable of neutralizing ... In diarrhoea of this character, as well as in colic, antacids are often of ..."
4. Dental materia medica and therapeutics by Hermann Prinz (1917)
"antacids. antacids are agents which neutralize acids by their alkaline or ... In general medicine, antacids arc usually employed to reduce the acidity of ..."
5. The American eclectic materia medica and therapeutics by John Milton Scudder (1898)
"antacids. antacids are those agents which correct acidity, in whatever part of the system found, whether in the stomach, intestinal canal, ..."
6. Materia Medica and Therapeutics: A Manual for Students and Practitioners by Levi F. Warner (1892)
"antacids. What are antacids ? antacids are remedies employed to neutralize excessive ... In a wider sense antacids are substances which enter the blood, ..."
7. Modern Materia Medica and Therapeutics by Arthur Albert Stevens (1903)
"GASTRIC antacids. Gastric antacids are drugs employed to neutralize acidity of the ... Others, like ammonia and ammonium carbonate, serve as antacids in the ..."