Definition of Apartment house
1. Noun. A building that is divided into apartments.
Terms within: Apartment, Flat
Generic synonyms: Building, Edifice
Specialized synonyms: Tenement, Tenement House, Walk-up
Apartment House Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Apartment House Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Apartment House
Literary usage of Apartment house
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Lawyers' Reports Annotated by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company (1919)
"Accordingly, the occupant of an apartment in an apartment house was held ... 43 SW 1016, that the tenant of an apartment house may be guilty of arson in ..."
2. The Tenement House Problem: Including the Report of the New York State by Robert Weeks De Forest, Lawrence Veiller (1903)
"It has been suggested to the Commission that they should distinguish between the tenement and the apartment house, aud confine the operation of the tenement ..."
3. A Dictionary of Architecture and Building, Biographical, Historical, and by Russell Sturgis (1901)
"In American law all buildings, whether they are called apartment house, ... The apartment house, as it is now understood in the United States, ..."
4. Cyclopedia of American Government by Andrew Cunningham McLaughlin, Albert Bushnell Hart (1914)
"Though such a building is essentially an apartment house and should be subject to the same regulation as to construction and use, it has been treated as an ..."
5. The Social Welfare Forum: Official Proceedings [of The] Annual Meeting by Conference of Charities and Correction (U.S.), National Conference on Social Welfare, American Social Science Association, National Conference of Social Work (U.S.) (1902)
"The poorest of the apartment-house property, despite steam heat, baths, ... Once a high- class apartment house, the character of its occupants has gradually ..."
6. Annotated Cases, American and English by H Noyes Greene, William Mark McKinney, David Shephard Garland (1917)
"An "apartment house" has been defined as a building arranged in several suites of ... By reason of possessing those characteristics an "apartment house" is ..."